Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tagged!

Being fairly new to blogging, I was flattered when Jennifer of GoodFountain tagged me recently. We discovered each other since she writes about, among other things, life with a not-so-ordinary kid. We both agree that her daughter Chee is Ben's female doppleganger.

Tagging is a kind of blogging chain letter, only it's not insipid, and no one threatens you with bad luck or a horrible death if you don't respond.

Here are the rules of this tag:

A. Post these rules at the beginning of the blog entry

B. Answer the questions about yourself

C. Tag 5 people, let them know in a comment on their blogs that they have been tagged.

I'll admit I procrastinated quite a bit before writing this. See, when I started this blog, I had no intention of writing about myself, except indirectly through chronicling our journey with Ben. So I feel a little self-conscious about stepping into the spotlight.

So, dear reader, here's a diversion that goes a little something...like...this:

What were you doing 10 yrs ago?

I was working as a training coordinator at an organization in Berkeley that runs schools that serve children with, among other disabilities, severe autism.

I learned a lot about autism and related conditions while I worked there, even though I was not working in the classrooms. I think this experience helped me identify and name some of Ben’s early signs and symptoms - echolalia, a narrow range of play activities, repetitive behaviors – and seek out an assessment earlier than I otherwise might have had I not known much about the condition.

Snacks I enjoy

French fries

Melted chocolate and banana slices on graham crackers

Edemame

Good sharp white cheddar on crackers

Egg salad scooped up with potato chips

A homemade lemon bar with a strong cup of coffee

Five things on my to-do list today

Laundry

Call our electrician about installing new lights on our front porch

Finally finish Beth Lisick’s very funny book, Help Me Help Myself

Schedule my first mammogram

Write this blog post

Things I would do if I became a billionaire

Take care of my immediate family’s current and future debt. (houses, schools, college, retirement, elder care).

Travel the world with Chris and Ben.

Build an eco-friendly, prefab modern home someplace fabulous like Hawaii.

Set up an endowment/foundation to make lots and lots and lots of small grants to teachers, librarians, community activists and anyone who has a creative idea for a project that involves kids.


3 bad habits

Emotional eating

Comparing myself unfavorably to others

Feeling guilty

5 places I have lived

Anoka, Minnesota

Evanston, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois

San Francisco, California

Oakland, California

Jobs I have had

Waitress

Public Relations Coordinator

Office Temp

Adjunct Faculty Member

Instructional Designer

Learning Strategist (glorified Instructional Designer)

Independent Consultant

Mom

Things people don’t know about me

I love amusement park rides, but there is NO amount of money you could pay me to go in a Haunted House.

I really enjoy Iron Chef America, even though I know it’s preposterous.

On the Myers Briggs scale I’m an INTP, but years ago, I was an INFP, which basically means as I get older, I’m becoming less warm and fuzzy and more of a hard-ass.

The NPR show Car Talk makes my skin crawl. (I know, everybody LOVES it but me.)

I would love a second career as a food and travel writer. (Wouldn't we all.)

No place that I've lived as an adult has really felt like HOME to me (even though I've really loved everywhere I've lived). And I keep wondering if I'm going to find that place, or if that idea of the perfect place - one's true home - is just an idealization.

I would really like to start going to church again and singing in a choir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So there you have it. My own little Web 2.0 Dewar's profile.

I hereby tag the following:

My husband, Chris, who when taking a break from video blogging occasionally writes pieces on his blog, Spexious.

My friend Linda, who is a wonderful writer as evidenced by Waiting for a Train.

My friend Tom, who keeps me supplied with daily pop culture candy, internet junk food, and a piping hot sterno tray of bizarre media happenings on Spectacular Self-Indulgence.

Eileen, who, besides being Ben's Nana (Grandma for all of you non-East Costers) writes about life as a cancer survivor, grandmother, and fabulous ballroom dancer, among other things at Soul Dancer.

Finally, just to involve the whole family, my brother-in-law, Tim and sister-in-law Deirdre. (Hope I haven't broken the rules by technically including 6 people.) Both are regular contributors to Bloggnabit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christa, although your blog about Ben is fascinating and wonderful, I so enjoyed reading about you in this entry. I am such a fan of yours! Love Geri (Eileen's sister)

goodfountain said...

I'm go glad you shared more about yourself!

I love Iron Chef too.

Casdok said...

An interesting meme!

Anonymous said...

Christa, thanks for sharing more about who you are. Ben is blessed to have such a Real mom. Your gifts of writing, insight, and enduring love are divine. Peace and Hugs, Julie