Saturday, July 26, 2008

Flowers at the Swing

Today, Jennifer Graf Groneberg of Pinwheels wrote:

If you’d like to honor Evan Kamida’s life, but can’t be at the memorial in person, you can do what I’m doing: I’m going to put flowers near a swingset here in Montana, take a picture, and post it with links, so Vicki will know I’ve been thinking of them.

Can you imagine it? Flowers at swingsets and playgrounds all across the country–flowers for a little boy who loved to swing, and for the mama standing behind him. I hope you’ll join me, and help spread the word.


The inspiration for this gesture comes from a piece that Evan's mother, Vicki Foreman, wrote called Mother at the Swings which was published in the on-line literary magazine, Literary Mama. Susan Etlinger read the piece to introduce the panel at BlogHer last weekend. I encourage you to read it.

I took this photo today of some flowers at a swing; for Evan, and for Vicki.

Flowers at the Swing 1.JPG

5 comments:

jennifergg said...

I love this, Christa. Thank you.

Maddy said...

It is a great idea, my trouble is that it seems to be a private group on Flickr.
Best wishes

TLC said...

It's a public group, you just have to join.

My photo is posted, and here is my post to get the word out:

http://casadecruz.blogspot.com/2008/07/flowers-at-swings.html

Kari said...

What a fabulous idea.

I had just met Vicki last weekend, so Evan's passing came as quite a shock. She had given me so much inspiration and things to think about, and it just punches me in the gut to think of what she is going through right now.

-Kari
www.kariannaspectrum.com

Tara Marie said...

A perfect tribute....we did the same at our house.

Peace and love,