Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My New Old Friends

I had the great fortune to attend a panel at the recent BlogHer conference in San Francisco entitled, "Blogging About our Children with Special Needs."

It was organized by Susan Etlinger of The Family Room and featured Jennifer Graf Groneberg of Pinwheels, Vicki Foreman of Speak Softly..., Kristina Chew of Autism Vox, and Shannon Des Roches Rosa of The Adventures of Leelo and His Pottymouthed Mom. (howz that for the best blog name ever?)

Rather than provide a recap, I'll just suggest you check out Shannon's write-up if you're curious.

I was even more fortunate to be invited join the group, plus several other special needs blogger-moms, for dinner and a bit of mild carousing afterwards. We chatted and laughed and compared notes on aspects of blogging, mothering and being advocates for our extraordinary kids.

There were so many things I normally find myself explaining, or dreading having to explain, in a group of other parents. But here, that was unnecessary. So much was already shared and understood that the conversation felt effortless and familiar and deep all at once.

My newfound feelings of community and solidarity were an especially welcome buffer against the ugliness of the last couple days.

It's lovely to make new friends, especially when they seem, somehow, like longtime pals.

7 comments:

goodfountain said...

Just a little bit jealous over here.

I'm glad it was such a nice time for everyone.

squid said...

Christa, it was a delight to meet you. Don't forget there's only a bay between us, and it has many bridges and tunnels.

Jordan said...

Christa, it was so wonderful to meet you in person! I do feel like I've known you for a long time and am only sorry that somehow we didn't get to talk more. Next time I'm nearby we need to get together!!

kristenspina said...

Christa, it was wonderful to meet you. I do wish we had had more time, the night flew by so quickly--

kyra said...

sounds like an amazing time. i wish i had been there!

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

It was wonderful to meet you! I am glad you sneaked in and went to dinner with us! And I owe you a cab ride, or a drink, or something. Thanks!

Deirdre said...

Wish I could have heard the panel! all these women seem so perceptive. I've followed the threads to catch up on the panel presentation and the presenters themselves. Whoever it was that lampooned Michael Savage as the gay sex-advice columnist has earned The Little Man Jumping Out Of His Chair.