Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spectrum Siblings

I'd like to introduce you to one of my favorite new blogs, Spectrum Siblings, written by Cale. He's a college student with Aspberger's who is studying Behavioral Neuroscience and Social Psychology. Or as he puts it, "I'm majoring in autism."

I think of Cale as a Sherpa guide for spectrum families. He specifically reaches out to parents through his blog, explaining what our kids might be going through from his own personal experience.

He's able to describe in vivid, insightful and often funny detail what it feels like to have sensory overload, or to not know how to interpret arbitrary, unspoken social rules - like knowing which way to go in a hallway to avoid an oncoming person (How does anyone figure that out, anyway?) - or the absurdity of asking a child to name a single favorite color (color for what? a house? a shirt?)

For those of us with younger children who are not yet as self-aware and articulate as Cale, his posts provide a glimpse into what the possibilities of life on the spectrum as a young adult can be.

And those possibilities are pretty exciting.

1 comment:

Gad said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Kaylee

http://www.craigslistposter.info