Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hyperlexia Literary Journal

I'm very honored to have an essay from this blog appear in the first issue of a new online literary journal, Hyperlexia.

As editor Kerry Cohen writes in her Editor's introduction, Hyperlexia Literary Journal began as a question: What does it mean to be autistic and to love someone who is?

This first issue showcases a mix of poetry and prose, including a piece I wrote in the early days of this blog: To the Parents at Today's Party.

Having the piece selected gave me a welcome opportunity to revise it. In the process, I recognized that I find myself in the difficult situation I describe in the piece far less frequently these days due to Ben's progress, my own acceptance, and the sense of community and shared experience I have nowadays thanks to so many of you.

Instead of rewriting the piece from a place of here and now, self-aware reflection about what the feelings meant back then, I decided to keep - and even emphasize - the cheerful-yet-defensive voice of the original piece since I think it captures an honest moment of emotion that is familiar to most every parent.

I'm very excited to be included along side many other wonderful writers, and I hope you enjoy the inaugural issue of Hyperlexia.

8 comments:

goodfountain said...

I remember this essay from the first time you wrote it. I remember nodding along and thinking that you were describing me and Charlotte at birthday parties.

That's great that you were published in the journal. I can't wait to read the rest of it.

eileen said...

i'm so proud of you and glad that so many others will experience your wondrous way of describing life with ben....

jaki said...

I'm not surprised that your writing was selected - you give us small glimpses into Ben's world and you do it so well.
I don't always comment, but I always read your blog and am constantly in awe of your understanding, acceptance, love and translation of Ben and his life.
I applaud you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having your piece published. We're so proud of you and of the work you and Chris have done to help Ben make such great progress.

Ben is such an inquisitive, creative, curious, dramatic, funny and sweet child. We know that he will do many extraordinary things in his lifetime.

Love, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Christa, such a well deserved honor!! I just now referred a parent with a child on the spectrum to your blog. She shared how she could so relate to this particular writing and was blessed by your sharing. Julie

Rebecca said...

Christa. I dont know yoy and you dont know me. But I love your blog <3

I live in the UK and have a boyfriend in Michigan who has Hyperlexia and I have Dyspraxia. He's the sweetest fella ever but his hyperlexia does mean even at 21 hes not quite the same as everyone else.

I found this blog while searching for more details on Hyperlexia and finding more details. It reassures me to read your blog occasionally and helps me understand my boyfriend a little better. Thank you

Kathleen in Oregon said...

Dear Christa,
I read your piece in the Hyperlexia Literary Journal and lived that same experience about 2 months ago with my twins on the spectrum. My boys just turned six and the party was for our good friends' one-year-old. They are wonderful people and very understanding & accepting of our boys idiosyncracies - but their other friends and family... not so much. I was very much on the outside looking in at all of them with their ideally-developing, perfectly social and engaged babies and toddlers. Their kids scared the bejeezus out of my kids and though we were the last to arrive, we were also the first to leave. I can't help feeling the other parents rolled their eyes at one another as the door closed behind us saying things like, "wow. She's go her hands full." or "Why were they so nervous?" or the worst, "What is wrong with those kids?" It made me want to scream. It made me want to yell "Stop staring! It isn't funny that your two-year old scares my son!" It made me want to weep out in the car. But I won't show that to my boys.
You captured all of those thoughts and feelings and that defensive, protective, if-they-only-knew feeling. My kids are not sick or broken, they are charming delightful funny little gentlemen who need a little extra care and a lot less noise. I thought it hurt when people misjudged me. Now I know it is pinprick compared to the anguish of watching others prejudge my children. Thanks for your writing!

Linda said...

You are such a talented writer. It was only a matter of time before you were discovered.