Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Swimmingly

I know a kid who, upon hearing that he would be taking swimming lessons everyday at summer school, said, chin quivering and eyes welling up with tears, "I don't want to take swimming lessons. I can't put my face in the water!"

Cut to: Four weeks later

bath tub swimmer.jpg

He loves his daily, 30-minute Red Cross swimming lesson, and is more confident in the water than I could have hoped after only a month. We've been swimming nearly every weekend this summer and Ben enjoys every opportunity to show us, over and over again, how he can put his head under water.

He even wants to practice in the bathtub.

I suspect things like the feeling of floating, the oddly muffled sound and sensation of pressure when one is underwater are fascinating and comforting to Ben as they are for many individuals on (and off) the spectrum.

My meager hopes for swimming lessons were that he 1) wouldn't refuse to go and that he would 2) take an interest in what the other kids were doing, enough to just get in the water.

Exceeded expectations: Check.

6 comments:

jaki said...

I have adult friends who never learned to swim...and don't know the many and varied pleasures of swimming. I'm glad Ben won't be one of THOSE!

Lisa said...

That's great! Good for him. :)

linda j said...

What a cutie he is!

MOM-NOS said...

Bud has been taking swim lessons, too, and is equally enthralled. I think you're right - there is something about the experience (sensory or otherwise) that just works for him.

Nick said...

Hi Christa,

Excuse me for posting a comment that isn't relevant to this particular blog entry, but I didn't see an email address on this site, so commenting on your most recent entry seemed like the best way to contact you.

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name's Nick, and I'm a fellow parent, fellow blogger, and fellow Bay Area resident. As far as autism in the family goes, my situation is the mirror image of yours: I'm an autistic parent raising a non-autistic daughter.

The title of your blog, Hyperlexicon, caught my attention, because The Hyperlexicon is the title of an online hypertext book/labyrinth that I created in the Spring of 2006. Since I see that you started this blog in 2007, I was wondering whether my Hyperlexicon had inspired the title of yours, or whether it's a case of "great minds think alike." If it's the former, I'm honored, and if it's the latter, well, that's pretty cool. Either way, good to meet you.

If you haven't encountered my Hyperlexicon yet, you can find the starting point at www.nickykaa.com/Hyperlexicon/hyperlexicon.html

drama mama said...

I so would love for M to take lessons - she can swim, but sort of badly - but need to find the right teacher.

Please tell me about the Red Cross.